Twitter suffered a worm attack but all clear

Twitter all clear after worm wave
“Twitter has been given the all clear after a worm infected ‘tens of thousands of users’. But experts say the attack could have been much worse. Over the weekend, a self-replicating computer program, or worm, began to infect profiles on the social network. The worm was set up to promote a Twitter rival site, showing unwanted messages on infected user accounts. Michael Mooney, a 17-year-old US student, told the Associated Press he created the worm to promote his site. Mooney, who lives in Brooklyn, New York, said he wanted to expose vulnerabilities in Twitter. He told AP: ‘I really didn’t think it was going to get that much attention, but then I started to see all these stories about it and thought, ‘Oh, my God’.’ The worm worked by encouraging users to click on a link to the rival Twitter site, called StalkDaily.com. Once the link was clicked, infected users themselves automatically began to send out messages to friends, promoting the site. No personal or sensitive information, such as passwords, was compromised in the attacks, according to Twitter, which has more than seven million users.”











Well, I knew something was going on. Twitter was on the fritz last week. On April 6th 2009 around 6:00 PM I joined the #lostavatar club. A lot of Avatar pics got dumped and restored. I even noticed files being prompted for download when you go to peoples twitter site and click on who they are following. Support for Twitter is poor and they shoot out a template e-mail as soon as you e-mail. Looks like a bot read over the e-mail and sees key words to trigger the right or possibly correct response.

Back in March 2009, I was new to Twitter and checking things out. It took time to get use to it and I started to get people to follow me. I coasted through numerous pics and look for interesting people that share my same interest. I reached 100 and was amazed truly amazed. Wow, this stuff is like crack. One Friday, I decided to check out some new people and started to randomly click pictures just to see where it would lead me. Then suddenly I clicked a picture avatar and then it prompted me for a user name and password. I thought I was logging into the Twitter Servers. I freaked out and closed it. Then I clicked a different avatar picture the persons site and it happened again. I reported the incident to Twitter support and got nothing but a template response. Next I replied kind of angered, explaining that a template e-mail is poor support. Next, received another template response. I then replied one more time to explain my situation and that a template response cannot help me. I added that I was trying to be helpful. I pointed out someone must be fishing for passwords. 5 min. after sending my e-mail, the white whale got me and locked me out. Last e-mail I sent was begging for my account not to be locked. It worked and another 15 min. later I was able to log in. That your account has been locked screen was wild and scary.

Sometimes I have to remind myself it is only freaking Twitter. No really this all happened to me. I even told @cyberworm_ about it you can ask him. Well, me telling him had something to do with my account down for 15 min. possibly. Na, I don't think so. What do you think?

Join me,
@Kelly62u.


Comments