Torenting Unprotected? That is a No No!


Torrenting can be illegal, but we all use it for legal purposes right? Shake your head up and down please say yes! We use it to download legal stuff. Well, I find myself talking to people who say "Yeah, I do the torrent thing here and there." It is like confession to a crime, or confession to an act of Taboo.

Next, they pull you into their desktop setup verbally and explain their "optimal" settings . They explain what works best and how the whole port forwarding stuff was hard to do. Then they eventually got over the hurtle and they are pulling down episodes of whatever in minutes or ask me for help. Well I look at them and say "...That's great and all etc .... , but what do you use to protect yourself?" People look at me and say, "I have the best anti-virus scanner money can buy! ... or the best firewall..."
I came across this article Program Lets P2P Users Roam Free and it reminded me how hard it is now days to cover your, well I mean protect yourself form other people. Yes, people or businesses or even students can snoop into what you are doing.

"PeerGuardian 2 is Phoenix Labs’ premier IP blocker for Windows. PeerGuardian 2 integrates support for multiple lists, list editing, automatic updates, and blocking all of IPv4 (TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc), making it the safest and easiest way to protect your privacy on P2P. It is technically a firewall, but I like to think of it like a dynamic HOSTS file." Phoenix Labs <- You can download it here, check it out! Tips I would follow - Always keep it up to date - Any issues reinstall the application and then reinstall - Make sure your HTTP is set for Allow before you download your lists - If you block HTTP then no Internet - Do not download the Alpha version , lol
Enjoy seeing all the crappy IPs that hit your computer. You may even find another PC or server port scanning your computer. Want to know more about them? Look up their IP with Steve Gibson's ID Serve. Just install and input the IP address. Shazam! You may get lucky and get the name of the server etc.. Good stuff! I used it one time and discovered the server port scanning me belong to some security dude who was following me on Twitter @Kelly62u. I called him out and all of a sudden more security followers...hmm.. go figure. I had them thinking! More about that some other time. lol..
Oh yeah, all this is safer if you put it on Virtual PC. Then move your files over after virus scanning them.
K.

Comments