My Nike+ Issue ( I think I have figured out why it bugs out)




My Apple iPod Touch get's around. Meaning all types of hands end up playing games and doing all sorts of odd things. Usually everyone under the age of 10 years old cannot comprehend the whole concept of recharging an iPod.
(<-Rage Against the Machine - Bombtrack)
Where am I going with this? Well I tweeted @Nike+ and ever since then this issue has been bugging me. Yes, my iPod bugging out has been bugging me. Well I am a support guy and I love finding solutions. It's a Techy thing. Here is why:
- @Nike+ mentioned they have no issues when they tested Nike+ app on IOS version 4.1. They never told me they can reproduce my issues (See my older post to see the issues I had)
- I examined the thread Nike+ and IOS 4.1 and discovered that some people are having issues despite the update from IOS 4.1. There is no comon issues, just random buggy stuff. Read it.
Hmm, seems like support is correct and so are the end users. An educated guess. Well, then I started to think. If I was supporting Nike+, and testing my iPod Nike+ App, I would keep my iPod charged all the time in my cube. So then I got to think.....
That power bar on the iPod is not accurate is it? I bet when people run with low power they experience issues with Nike+. I figured I should test this and drain my iPod's power, actually a 7 yr old had done that for me already, and then I charged it for 15 minutes. Not long but long enough to listen to music when I run. Was 15 minutes enough to allow Nike+ to work OK? Drum roll.. Nope the Nike+ app bugged out and froze up. The time in the picture above was stuck at 42'40"35 and flickered. I had to restart my iPod touch, because each time I unlock it I would see the Pause workout button / the screen displayed in the picture above. After the restart, my miles were recorded in the Nike+ app no issues there.
Next day I recharged my iPod touch and made sure when I leave the house my power bar was full. I had absolutely no issues. In fact I ran over my goal of 2 miles and had no irritating loop "Pausing Workout, Resuming Workout"
I think it is too early to say this is the cause but I finally found something that maybe a solution. I will tweet @Nike+ and see if they agree. They have more time on their hands to test. LOL...
If power is the issue then I hope Nike can come up with some creative solutions.
Peace Out L8R
P.S.
Tell me if this works for you. Please leave a comment.

Comments